One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them. – Oscar Wilde
I haven’t had a muffin in years thanks to my ~dairy issues~. Nobody really makes dairy free muffins in restaurants. However, I stumbled upon a base recipe on Inspired Taste and altered it a bit to make them healthier!
As some of you may know, whey is a derivative of dairy. Hence, I can’t eat any whey protein products. In this recipe, I used a rice-based vanilla protein powder called NutriBiotic. It’s vegan and gluten free too, if you’re into that sort-of thing. You can find dairy-free protein powder at any Vitamin Shoppe, Whole Foods, etc, or just try Amazon. Here is the link to mine: NutriBiotic Vanilla on Amazon (I would not suggest buying 3 lbs of protein powder until you know you if you’ll use it!
- Preheat oven to 400F. Mix all dry ingredients (flour, protein powder, salt, baking powder) into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl (or even just in a large liquid measuring cup) whisk together the egg, canola oil, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet to the dry, and a thick batter will form. (Do not over mix - I used a fork)
- Fold the blueberries into the batter, and scoop the mix into a lined cupcake tray. The liners should be pretty full (the more batter means the larger the muffin top!)
- Sprinkle some sugar on top of each, and bake for 20 minutes. Test at 15 min to check the inside. That's it! Another easy protein - filled breakfast, snack, or dessert!