I love dairy free carrot cake more than any other dessert I bake. This recipe is my go-to, especially during the holidays when I know every single dessert at my grandparents’ house will be filled with all sorts of dairy. Offer to bring this along, and no one will even know it’s dairy free. Plus, it is significantly healthier than most carrot cake recipes, due to presence of a secret ingredient. (Pineapple) I use Duncan Hines Cream Cheese Frosting (lol, it’s dairy free… aka 100% sugar) and it’s delicious.
Alisa Flemming wrote the original version of this recipe in 2013. I’ve been using and tweaking the ingredients for years and cheated big time with the store bought frosting hack. (Ballin on a budget)
Dairy free carrot cake muffins are always a good idea, too!
Follow my Instagram for more.
- Mix the grated carrots and brown sugar together in a bowl and set aside. The carrots will sweat - this is a good sign!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray down 2 8-inch pans, or a larger cake pan if you're only doing one layer. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- In a diff bowl (aka bowl #3) whisk the eggs, vanilla, white sugar, and oil together. Gently stir in the pineapple. (Don't use a whisk unless you enjoy pushing the pineapple chunks out of it manually.)
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir well. Once mixed, add in the carrots and their brown-sugar-sweaty-liquid.