In a world full of plain bagels, be a sprinkled donut.
I found this original recipe for mini donuts on the site tasty.co. Let me just say, those videos are quite misleading. In other words: this was way messier in my kitchen.
I hunted for an easy dairy free mini donut recipe for quite a while. Luckily, on a summer trip to Savannah, GA, a wonderful friend of mine gave me vegan strawberry donuts. (They were frosted, too!!!) They were served with fresh strawberries and I have been craving them since. These mini donuts don’t have frosting, nor are fresh strawberries involved, but they’re actually not half bad for you. And, I made them in 25 minutes. Woohoo! These make for a great snack or dessert. Or, you can make them a bit healthier; for instance, you could add in some protein powder (remove the equal amount of flour)! Enjoy!
Follow me on Insta HERE if you wanna see more pics of food in my hands!
- Melt the butter in a pan over low heat. Add the almond milk once it's melted and stir. Next, add in 2 TBSP sunflower oil and remove the mix from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together (flour, salt, baking powder) and 1/4 cup of sugar. (The other 1/4 cup is for rolling the donuts in).
- Grab a fairly deep pan (something you would use to make soup with) and fill it a few inches deep with oil. I struggled to find a good temperature for the oil - I would suggest keeping the stove on medium heat for about 10 minutes. You can throw a little piece of dough into the oil to test the temperature. If it burns, your oil is too hot, and if it sinks and doesn't rise after about a minute, the oil isn't hot enough. ~good luck~
- Lay your donuts into the oil gently (don't plop them in!) and let them cook on each side until they are nice and golden.
- Mix some cinnamon and sugar together on a plate. Once your donuts are ready, roll them in the sugar/cinnamon. That's it! :)