I couldn’t find a quote that did this French toast justice. Dairy-free French toast is essentially unheard of at most restaurants (at least any I’ve been to). This is unfortunate because French toast is a favorite breakfast of mine, thanks to my mother. She made us breakfast nearly every Sunday morning and switched off between scrambled eggs and French toast each weekend.Jump to Recipe
Last weekend, I was craving my mom’s French toast and couldn’t find her exact recipe. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t actually follow a recipe; she just makes ~magic. Anyways, I found a phenomenal replica and turned it dairy-free. I made enough to feed a small army by accident, which worked out well because I was able to make my mom breakfast!
I know you’ll enjoy this recipe and I hope you add strawberries and powdered sugar, too. The type of bread certainly makes a difference, so try your favorite sourdough or thick wheat! Flavorful bread elevates this breakfast to restaurant level.
Good luck, and happy breakfast time! I’m sure you can guess my favorite meal of the day by now…
P.S. Follow me on Instagram here for more pictures of dairy-free food. I promise it won’t disappoint!
Favorite French Toast
- skillet or frying pan
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk unsweetened
- 7 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 12 slices wheat bread
- Whisk almond milk and eggs together in a large bowl.
- Add in brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Whisk them well!
- Heat up the skillet to medium high heat. Spray down with canola oil or spread some dairy-free butter.
- Soak the slices of bread in the mixture, but don't let them sit too long. The bread will fall apart!
- Cook each side for around 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and some maple syrup on the side.