All food starting with a ‘p’ is comfort food. Pizza, pasta, pretzels, peanut butter, potato chips.Sara Paretzky
I cook pretty often in my lovely college apartment (shout out to my roommates for dealing with the constant dishes and weird smells). I usually force my friends to taste test before I post a new recipe, and these pretzels were a hit. I will probably be making these weekly based on how delicious they are. You have two choices here – savory or sweet pretzels. We decided we loved both! This would be a great party snack or treat for a movie night!
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 pretzels)
- 1 packet active yeast
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups hot water (not boiling but hot)
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp veggie oil (canola works too)
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot (not boiling) water
For the toppings, 1/2 cup kosher salt and/or 1/2 cup cinnamon and sugar if you’d like sweet pretzels
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast and 1 tsp sugar in the 1 1/4 cup hot water. Let this sit for ~10 minutes and it will become creamy looking.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Then, pour in the oil and the yeast mixture.
- The mixture was a bit dry for me, so I added in a little bit of water. Eyeball it.
- Once the dough is well mixed, place it in a greased bowl. Let this sit for an hour to rise.
- Once an hour has passed, preheat the oven to 450F.
- Roll out the dough into a long rectangle on a floured surface. Cut into 1-2 inch strips and twist into pretzel shape. (Here is a link if you need a lil help on this one.)
- Dissolve the baking soda into the 4 cups of hot water. Soak each pretzel in the mixture (wait until the soda is dissolved) and place on a greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- For the savory pretzels, sprinkle kosher salt on top and toss the pretzels into the oven for 8 minutes or so. For sweet pretzels, mix cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle on top of the pretzels. You can either shake the mixture on top or roll the pretzel in the sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 8 min or so.
Enjoy! Let me know what you think in the comments below, and please feel free to share this recipe with family and friends!