I do not like broccoli. And I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I’m President of the United States and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli.George H. W. Bush
I have to disagree with former President Bush here – I actually really like broccoli. Maybe he would’ve changed his mind if he tried this soup…
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped
- A few thyme leaves
- Sea salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package of broccoli (not frozen – thaw it first!)
- Pour the oil and toss in the onions and garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat, and then add the potatoes, thyme, salt and broth.
- Boil the soup for a few minutes and then turn down the temp to let it simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes. (Potato should be soft)
- Throw the soup into a blender (probably in 2 batches, depending on your blender size) and puree.
- Serve with a warm baguette!