Good soup is one of the prime ingredients of good living.Louis P. De Guoy
I spent Sunday at home testing out new soup recipes with my mom while listening to Christmas music (aka bliss). I have spent some time researching winter soups because these are great to have to home in the cold weather and they’re also super convenient at school. Soup = quick healthy food (liquid salad??)
BUTTERNUT SQUASH (serves ~ 4)
- 2 tbsp dairy free butter
- 1 small onion chopped up
- 1 piece of fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 pounds butternut squash
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 cups water
- Sea salt and pepper
- Pumpkin Seeds (Link to recipe)
- Melt the butter in a big saucepan over medium heat and toss the onion in. Let this cook for 2 ish minutes and add the ginger, garlic, and squash. Stir stir stir!
- Add 4 cups of water and bring the whole bowl to a boil. Then, turn down the heat and simmer the soup for about 25 minutes. (You want the squash super soft)
- If you have a massive blender, great; if not, you’re gonna need to do this in 2 batches. Pour half the soup into a blender and put the lid on. However, remove the tiny hole of the blender lid and just cover the top with a towel. (Since the soup is hot, you need to let the steam out as it blends.) Blend the mixture until it’s super smooth. Repeat!
- Stir in the juice and a big pinch of sea salt and season with some pepper. That’s it! Taste test before serving to double check on salt.
- Serve with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds on top!
Recipe inspiration: Here.