Why did the chicken cross the road?
For this episode of “Kylie Making a Mess”, I made a summer roasted chicken for dinner for my mom and me. In the process I managed to cover my phone entirely in spices, to the point where I could no longer read the recipe. I also gutted a chicken successfully (weird brag, I know).
Anyways, this smelled delicious and tasted even better. Took a bit over an hour because I bought a pretty large chicken, but it could’ve been done in 45 min – 1 hour if it was smaller. This would be ideal for a (dairy free) dinner party!
Original recipe can be found on Vodka and Biscuits.
INGREDIENTS: (Recipe is based off of 4-5 lb chicken.)
- Whole chicken
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 onion – cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lemon – cut into quarters
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 parsley stems with leaves attached
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper as needed
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 ears of corn, cut into thirds
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp melted dairy free butter
- Bell’s seasoning or something similar (orig. used Herbs de Provence)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Wash and remove the guts from the chicken and dry it. Season the cavity with salt and pepper, and stuff with spices, 5 garlic cloves, and 2 lemon quarters.
- Spread all the chopped onions throughout the pan and and crush up the garlic cloves over the onions. Drizzle olive oil over everything, including the chicken, and pour in the chicken stock.
- Sprinkle Bell’s Seasoning all over the chicken on both sides (and your phone if you’re like me!)
- Roast for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and add in the corn and tomatoes. Pour the melted butter over the chicken and veggies.
- Roast for another 30 minutes, and double check that the temp. of the chicken is at 165F at least.