Hey! This recipe is found HERE now.
In a world full of plain bagels, be a sprinkled donut.
I found this original recipe on the site tasty.co.
I’ve been hunting for an easy dairy-free donut recipe for a while now, because on a recent trip to Savannah, GA I was lucky enough to find dairy free frosted donuts with fresh strawberries and I’ve been craving them since. These donuts aren’t frosted, nor are fresh strawberries involved, but they’re actually not half bad for you and they took all of 25 minutes. These would be a great snack or dessert, or you could add in some protein powder (remove the equal amount of flour) to make them a little healthier! Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup dairy free butter (Fav is earth balance)
- 1/2 cup soy/unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tbsp sunflower oil, plus some for frying
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup extra fine sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melt the butter in a pan over low heat. Add the milk once it’s melted and stir. Next, add in the sunflower oil and remove the mix from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together (flour, salt, baking powder) and 1/4 cup of sugar. (The other 1/4 cup is for rolling the donuts in).
- Add the liquids to the solids and stir well. Form balls with your hands and push a little hole in the center.
- Grab a fairly deep pan (something you would use to make soup with) and fill it a few inches deep with oil. I struggled to find a good temperature for the oil – I would suggest keeping the stove on medium heat for about 10 minutes. You can throw a little piece of dough into the oil to test the temperature. If it burns, your oil is too hot, and if it sinks and doesn’t rise after about a minute, the oil isn’t hot enough. ~good luck~
- Lay your donuts into the oil gently (don’t plop them in!) and let them cook on each side until they are nice and golden.
- Mix some cinnamon and sugar together on a plate. Once your donuts are ready, roll them in the sugar/cinnamon. That’s it! 🙂